The Federal-style residence at 312 Cooper Street is one of the two oldest structures in the Cooper Street Historic District, dating to around 1810. Over time, it has been a family home, a school, a political clubhouse, and an office building. In recent times, it has been best known as the “Red Cross House,” the home of the Red Cross in Camden from the 1950s until 2007.
On August 21, 2013, Rutgers-Camden kicked off a campaign to transform 312 Cooper Street into the university’s first Alumni House. We were proud to share our research on the house and its occupants with more than two hundred people who attended the kick-off event. Viewed over time, the many uses of 312 Cooper Street connect well with the history and mission of Rutgers-Camden as a place where generations have lived, worked, played, learned, and devoted service to the community.
To contribute to the Alumni House campaign, visit http://Ralumni.com/alumnihouse. And to learn more about 312 Cooper Street, see the following posts by Rutgers-Camden graduate students enrolled in the Historic Interpretation Seminar during the Spring 2013 semester:
- Edward Smith, Ironmaster, by Brian Albright
- The Fashionable Mr. Smith, by Kim Coulter
- Grayson Mallet-Prevost: Surgeon and Mexican-American War Veteran, by Joshua Lisowski
- Female Education in Camden County: 312 Cooper Street – Young Ladies’ Seminary School, by Jacob Downs
- Republicans Up and Down Cooper Street, by William Roulett
- Helping Hands: The American Red Cross at 312 Cooper Street, by Mikaela Maria