The building located at 312 Cooper Street, Camden, New Jersey has served many purposes since it’s construction in the early nineteenth century. However, between the years of 1883 and 1886, the building was a school for Camden’s affluent young ladies. While little is known about this school, Much can be inferred by better understanding education in the city of Camden throughout the nineteenth century.
From Camden’s establishment to the early twentieth century, the development of education in Camden County followed two distinct phases. During the first phase, which began when Camden County was established, little concern was dedicated to the education of the area’s children. Only one school, The Camden Academy, existed through much of the late eighteenth century and into the early nineteenth century. The Camden Academy was established exclusively for boys and charged $2.50 a term. The tuition was substantial enough to keep working class or other lower class Camden residents from attending the school. Young ladies and girls would be completely excluded from the education system in the area throughout the eighteenth century and into the early nineteenth century. Continue reading